Research Honors in the Major

The City College is a research institution strongly committed to scholarship and research on the part of students as well as faculty. Almost every school, division and department has developed a structure within which qualified undergraduate students can pursue independent scholarly, creative or research projects under faculty guidance or can elect to assist a faculty member in a project. Students should have completed all basic requirements and be nearing completion of their specialization before they apply for independent study. In general, they should begin the departmental honors sequence well before they graduate. Faculty will assist eligible students in devising and arranging for cross-disciplinary projects.

In most cases, departmental honors courses are numbered 30100-30300 or 30400. Consult the departmental chair or academic advisor for details. Application for Research Honors must be made to the department by December 10 for the spring term and by May 1 for the fall term.