The following information applies to the programs housed solely within the Spitzer School: Master of Architecture I, Master of Science in Architecture, Master of Landscape Architecture I and II, and Urban Design (MUP). (Candidates for the interdisciplinary MS Sustainability, including its architecture track, should refer to its application instructions.) Spitzer School applications for admission are completed online through the college website, All applications must include a resume, three letters of recommendation from persons familiar with the applicant’s intellectual and/or design abilities, an academic transcript, a 500-word personal statement, a portfolio of creative work, and a non-refundable application fee.

As the program curriculum includes rigorous reading and writing requirements, international students who were educated in non-English-speaking countries must submit current standardized test scores certifying English language ability. The IBT TOEFL minimum score is 79. Students educated outside the United States should also arrange for an authorized agency to submit an evaluation of their non-U.S. credentials.

The deadline for the receipt of applications is January.

Transfer Students, and Course Waivers for M. Arch I Program

Candidates who have completed the equivalent of any required M Arch I courses in another accredited master program may apply to transfer those credits. All credit transfers are at the discretion of the faculty heads in each curricular area and require a grade of B or greater.

Candidates who hold a B.A. or B.S. in Architecture (a pre-professional pro-gram from a NAAB recognized school if from the U.S.) and who have completed the equivalent of any of our required courses may qualify for a waiver of those courses (up to 36 credits). All students must still complete 108 graduate level credits at The City College in order to qualify for the Master of Architecture degree.

Whether seeking transfer credits or a course waiver, all candidates will be asked to provide additional information including completed coursework and course syllabi as well as course descriptions and transcripts to determine eligibility. Design faculty will review portfolios to make a determination for studio and visual studies courses and will consult with the heads of each curricular area outside of design (such as history, technology, etc.) to determine if non-studio course work qualifies for a waiver. All granting of either course waivers or transfer credit is at the discretion of the School and under no circumstances will any student be allowed to spend less than two full academic years of study in the M Arch program.